N. view of Trichinopoly
Artist: Trapaud, Elisha (1750-1828)
Watercolour depicting the rock at Tiruchchirappalli, by Elisha Trapaud (1750-1828) c.1785. Inscribed on front in pencil: 'North view of Trichinopoly'.
The site of Tiruchchirapalli has been an important Hindu centre since Chola times due to its topographic position. The town is situated on the Cauvery River and is dominated by a huge granite rock that rises steeply above the town. Only a fragment of the great Nayaka fort remains, built on a circular plan with a ring of walls girding the great rock. On the summit of the rock there is a recent Ganesha temple, and on the way up there are two rock cut caves.