A distant view of Rawalpindi (Punjab).
Artist: Bruce, Sir Henry Le Geyt (1823-1899)
Watercolour painting of a distant view of Rawalpindi, Punjab by Sir Henry Le Geyt Bruce (1823-1899), c. 1846. Inscribed on the front in pencil is: 'Rawul Pindee'; on the mount in ink:' Rawalpindi, 1846. By Col. Bruce.'
Rawalpindi was a Mughal base that developed into a trading centre by the Sikhs in the 19th century. The British gained control over it after the Second Anglo-Sikh War in 1849, and made it their Army Headquarters for the northern region. It developed into an important cantonment with good connections with other parts of India when the railways were extended. This, and its position on the Grand Trunk Road, meant that the town developed both in size and importance throughout the century. In the foreground of this painting, an officer is seated outside his tent with his horses tethered nearby. He is being saluted by an orderly with papers while three sepoys accompanying a bullock cart are passing by.