S.E. view of Government House, Calcutta. A European is being carried in a palanquin, while other Europeans, attended by servants, stroll on the grass and exercise their dogs
Artist: Orme, Edward (1774-c.1822)
Water-colour painting of the south-east view of Government House in Calcutta by Edward Orme (1774-c.1822) after James Moffat (1775-1815) in 1804. Inscribed on the back in pencil is: 'South East View of new Government House. Calcutta. Drawn by Moffat (1804).' This was the original drawing for an aquatint which was one of a set by various artists issued by Orme and dedicated to Marquis Wellesley. The print is lettered, 'Engraved under the direction of Edward Orme by J. Clarke and H. Merke, London. Published and sold, Jan 1, 1805 by Edward Orme'.
When Marquis Wellesley became Governor-General of Calcutta in 1798, he decided that the existing Government House was not a suitable building for his position and needs. Charles Wyatt's design for the building was based on Paine's design for Kedleston Hall in Derbyshire. This source was reflected in use of four wings projecting from a central block. The southern façade of the new Government House in Calcutta, shown here, has a circular colonnade with a dome in the centre. In front of the Government House was the Maidan, a large open space that was created when Fort William was rebuilt to the south of the city in 1757.