View of the W. side of Gandikotta Fort from the W. bank of the Pennar river, with a key attached
Artist: Fraser, Thomas (1776-1823)
Water-colour plan of Gandikotta Fort, with a key attached, by Thomas Fraser (1776-1823), c. 1802. Inscribed on the front in ink is: 'View of the Western Works of Gandicottah from the West Bank of the Pennar shewing the ascent from the River by the Iron Gate and the Rugged aspect of the Rock. T. Fraser. Engr.'; on the back in ink: 'B.No.10. Gundicottah.'
This famous ancient fortress, otherwise known as ‘The Fort of the Gorge’ is situated in the Cuddapah district, Andhra Pradesh in a strategically important position at the head of the Pennar valley. It overlooks the Pennar River 300 feet below and is surrounded by impassable hills adding to the natural defences of the site. The fort was built in 1589 and later captured by Golconda but was subsequently absorbed by the Pathan Nawab of Cuddapah. It was later strengthened by Haider Ali but fell to the British under Captain Little from Tipu Sultan in 1791.