View of the E. face of the Fortress, Gooty, with a key attached
Artist: Fraser, Thomas (1776-1823)
Water-colour painting of the east face of the fortress of Gooty, with a key attached by Thomas Fraser (1776-1823) c.1802. Inscribed on the front in ink is: 'View of the East Face of the Fortress of Gooty taken from a Rocky Bank about 2 miles distant. T. Fraser. Engr.'; and on the back in ink: 'C.No.15. Gootty.'
The town of Gooty in Andhra Pradesh is surrounded by a circle of rocky hills, on the highest of which stands the fort, 301 metres (989 feet) above the plain. It is approached by a path which winds its way up the steep sides of the rock to the citadel on the summit. The fort, built between 1509 and 1530, was once the stronghold of Murari Rao, a famous Mahratha warrior and ally of the British who joined Robert Clive at Arcot in 1751. The ruler of Mysore, Haidar Ali (c. 1722-1782) seized the fort in 1776 however in the Mysore campaign of 1799 it fell to the British.