View of Bellary, showing the E. face of the lower fort and rock; a camel and bullock cart in the foreground. Key attached.
Artist: Fraser, Thomas (1776-1823)
Water-colour painting of Bellary Fortress with a key attached by Thomas Fraser (1776-1823) c.1802. Inscribed on the front in ink is: 'View of Bellary exhibiting the East Face of the Lower Fort & Rock taken from the Road leading to the Futtiah Durwazah. T. Fraser, Engr.'; and on the back in ink: 'D.No.4. Bellary.'
Bellary fortress lies on a granite outcrop on a spur of the Sandur range in Karnataka near to the border of Andhra Pradesh, overlooking the surrounding plain. Originally, the upper fort contained the citadel and several ancient tanks whereas the lower fort at the eastern base contained the arsenal. The fortress was a stronghold of the Raja of Mysore, Haidar Ali (c.1722-1782) however in 1800 it was ceded to the East India Company in lieu of payment for the maintenance of the British Subsidiary Force at Hyderabad.