Key drawing for View of Bellary, showing the E. face of the lower fort and rock.
Artist: Fraser, Thomas (1776-1823)
Medium: Pen and ink on paper
Pen-and-ink key drawing to accompany a view of Bellary, showing the east face of the lower fort and rock by Thomas Fraser (1776-1823), c.1802. Fraser served with the Madras Engineers from 1796 to 1819. During 1802 he appears to have been inspecting and surveying forts in the Ceded Districts of Bellary, Kurnoo, Anantapur and Cuddapah.
Bellary fortress lies on a granite outcrop on a spur of the Sandur range in Karnataka near to the border of Andhra Pradesh, overlooking the surrounding plain. Originally, the upper fort contained the citadel and several ancient tanks whereas the lower fort at the eastern base contained the arsenal. The fortress was a stronghold of the Raja of Mysore, Haidar Ali (c.1722-1782) however in 1800 it was ceded to the East India Company in lieu of payment for the maintenance of the British Subsidiary Force at Hyderabad.