A passage through the rocks leading to the upper fort of Bellary.
Artist: Fraser, Thomas (1776-1823)
Water-colour of a passage leading to the upper fort of Bellary by Thomas Fraser (1776-1823), c.1802. Inscribed on the front in ink is: 'View of a Part of the Principal ascent to the upper Fort of Bellary, shewing the Passage through the Rocks near the Upper Gates. T. Fraser, Engr.'; on the back in ink: 'D.No.5. Bellary.'
The fortress lies on a granite outcrop on a spur of the Sandur range in Karnataka near to the border of Andhra Pradesh, overlooking the surrounding plain. The upper fort contained the citadel and several ancient tanks whereas the lower fort at the eastern base contained the arsenal. Bellary was a stronghold of Haidar Ali, however in 1800 it was ceded to the East India Company in lieu of payment for the maintenance of the British Subsidiary Force at Hyderabad.