Thayet-myo, from the Steamer, looking south
Artist: Grant, Colesworthy (1813-1880)
Medium: Watercolour with pen and ink
Watercolour with pen and ink of a view, seen from a steamer, of the Irrawaddy (Ayeyarwady) River at Thayetmyo in Magway from 'A Series of Views in Burmah taken during Major Phayre’s Mission to the Court of Ava in 1855' by Colesworthy Grant. This album consists of 106 landscapes and portraits of Burmese and Europeans documenting the British embassy to the Burmese King, Mindon Min (r.1853-1878).
The mission took place after the Second Anglo-Burmese War in 1852 and the annexation by the British of the Burmese province of Pegu (Bago). It was despatched by the Governor-General of India Lord Dalhousie on the instructions of the East India Company, to attempt to persuade King Mindon to sign a treaty formally acknowledging the extension of British rule over the province. The mission started out from Rangoon and travelled up the Irrawaddy (Ayeyarwady) to the royal capital at Amarapura. Grant (1813-1880) was sent as the official artist of the mission. In recognition of his skill, he was presented with a gold cup and ruby ring by the Burmese King.
Grant described this view as follows: 'This place is the 'Sirraip-mew' of Colonel Symes, and 'Head Quarters of the British Frontier Brigade'...It is five miles below the Frontier Magazine, and Ordnance Depot and station of Meaday, and about eleven from the frontier itself, on the western side of the river. In this plate, looking south, is seen the face of the wooded hill, in some part of which...a seam of coal was found; but unfortunately not of a character to promise any advantage in its exploration. In the plain or valley, at the northern end of this hill, enshrouded by vegetation, is seen a white pagoda, the first and only one of its peculiar character met with before reaching Pagan-myo...'