The Library, etc., on the bank - Thayet-myo
Artist: Grant, Colesworthy (1813-1880)
Medium: Watercolour with pen and ink
Watercolour with pen and ink of a view of a thatched building used as a library on the banks of the Irrawaddy (Ayeyarwady) River at Thayetmyo in Magway 'A Series of Views in Burmah taken during Major Phayre’s Mission to the Court of Ava in 1855' by Colesworthy Grant. This album consists of 106 landscapes and portraits of Burmese and Europeans documenting the British embassy to the Burmese King, Mindon Min (r.1853-1878).
The mission took place after the Second Anglo-Burmese War in 1852 and the annexation by the British of the Burmese province of Pegu (Bago). It was despatched by the Governor-General of India Lord Dalhousie on the instructions of the East India Company, to attempt to persuade King Mindon to sign a treaty formally acknowledging the extension of British rule over the province. The mission started out from Rangoon and travelled up the Irrawaddy (Ayeyarwady) to the royal capital at Amarapura. Grant (1813-1880) was sent as the official artist of the mission. In recognition of his skill, he was presented with a gold cup and ruby ring by the Burmese King.
Grant described this view as follows: 'The principal object in the second and nearer view of the high bank is a large bungalow termed ‘the Library’, and is, it is believed, used not only as such, but as an Assembly Room, for any other public purpose which the requirements of the little military community may demand. The cantonments are immediately in the rear; and roads and other improvements to the place appeared to be in progress.'