Kyouk Taloung from the Steamer
Artist: Grant, Colesworthy (1813-1880)
Medium: Watercolour with pen and ink
Watercolour in pen and ink of a view of Kyouktaloung from the steamer from 'A Series of Views in Burmah taken during Major Phayre’s Mission to the Court of Ava in 1855' by Colesworthy Grant. This album is made up of 106 landscapes and portraits of Burmese and Europeans documenting the British embassy to the Burmese King, Mindon Min (r.1853-1878).
The mission took place after the Second Anglo-Burmese War in 1852 and the annexation by the British of the Burmese province of Pegu. It was despatched by the Governor-General of India Lord Dalhousie on the instructions of the East India Company, to attempt to persuade King Mindon to sign a treaty formally acknowledging the extension of British rule over the province. The mission started out from Rangoon and travelled up the Irrawaddy (Ayeyarwady) River to the royal capital at Amarapura. Grant was the official artist on the mission. In recognition of his skill, he was presented with a gold cup and ruby ring by the Burmese King.
Grant wrote that: “After leaving Meen-gyan vegetation began to resume its place again upon the eastern bank; and now the ‘nodding verdure’ of umbrageous trees, amongst which the beautiful Tamarind, and the lofty Palmyra are again found, once more enrich the scene. Passing the town for probably a mile, the steamer anchored at a woody spot marked by an exceedingly handsome Pagoda, high perched on platform and bank, and surrounded by a parapet, in that commanding position of which the Burmese always know so well the effect and value. Kyouk means stone. The name of the place therefore is believed to bear some reference to the patches of dark rock which are found upon the bank and elsewhere in its immediate neighbourhood.'