Distant view of Umerapoora, from the Sagain Hill
Artist: Grant, Colesworthy (1813-1880)
Medium: Watercolour with pen and ink
Watercolour with pen and ink of a distant view of Amarapura seen from Sagaing from 'A Series of Views in Burmah taken during Major Phayre’s Mission to the Court of Ava in 1855' by Colesworthy Grant. This album consists of 106 landscapes and portraits of Burmese and Europeans documenting the British embassy to the Burmese King, Mindon Min (r.1853-1878).
The mission took place after the Second Anglo-Burmese War in 1852 and the annexation by the British of the Burmese province of Pegu (Bago). It was despatched by the Governor-General of India, Lord Dalhousie, on the instructions of the East India Company, with the aim of persuading King Mindon to sign a treaty formally acknowledging the extension of British rule over the province. The mission started out from Rangoon (Yangon) and travelled up the Irrawaddy (Ayeyarwady) River to the royal city Amarapura, founded in 1782. Sagaing lies on the west bank of the Irrawaddy River facing Amarapura. Grant was the official artist of the British mission. In recognition of his skill, he was presented with a gold cup and ruby ring by the Burmese King.