Further part of The British Residency Toung-um-mah
Artist: Grant, Colesworthy (1813-1880)
Medium: Watercolour with pen and ink
Watercolour in pen and ink of the entrance to the British Residency at Amarapura from 'A Series of Views in Burmah taken during Major Phayre’s Mission to the Court of Ava in 1855' by Colesworthy Grant. This album consists of 106 landscapes and portraits of Burmese and Europeans documenting the British embassy to the Burmese King, Mindon Min (r.1853-1878).
The mission to Amarapura took place after the Second Anglo-Burmese War in 1852 and the annexation by the British of the Burmese province of Pegu (Bago). It was despatched by the Governor-General of India Lord Dalhousie on the instructions of the East India Company, with the aim of persuading King Mindon to sign a treaty formally acknowledging the extension of British rule over the province. The mission started out from Rangoon and travelled up the Irrawaddy (Ayeyarwady) River to Amarapura, a royal city founded in 1782. Grant (1813-1880) was the official artist of the British mission. The Residency building housed members of the mission party during their stay at Amarapura.
Grant wrote that this view: 'represents that portion of the Residency grounds from whence the first sketch was taken, and includes the principal entrance or gateway; on either side of which was a Bungalow; that on the right being the quarters of Major Grant Allan, and on the other of Captain Mackenzie, commanding the Irregular Cavalry, and Lieutenant Heathcote of the Indian Navy. The British flag, under special charge of the Blue Jackets, floats from the bamboo staff near the entrance, and the Irregular Cavalry quarters are seen on the left.'