The Bank at Theroukmyeon (or Myenka-toung)
Artist: Grant, Colesworthy (1813-1880)
Medium: Watercolour with pen and ink
Watercolour in pen and ink of the cliffs at Taroup Myo on the bank of the Irrawaddy (Ayeyarwady) River from 'A Series of Views in Burmah taken during Major Phayre’s Mission to the Court of Ava in 1855' by Colesworthy Grant dated 13 August 1855. This album consists of 106 landscapes and portraits of Burmese and Europeans documenting the British embassy to the Burmese King, Mindon Min (r.1853-1878).
The mission took place after the Second Anglo-Burmese War in 1852 and the annexation by the British of the Burmese province of Pegu. It was despatched by the Governor-General of India Lord Dalhousie on the instructions of the East India Company, to attempt to persuade King Mindon to sign a treaty formally acknowledging the extension of British rule over the province. The mission started out from Rangoon (Yangon) and travelled up the Irrawaddy (Ayeyarwady) River to the royal capital at Amarapura, stopping at various locations on the outward and return passages. Grant (1813-1880) was the official artist on the mission. In recognition of his skill, he was presented with a gold cup and ruby ring by the Burmese King.
This is one of several sketches Grant made recording the rock formations of the cliffs he passed while journeying on the river. He wrote of this image: 'Myenka-Toung appears to have been the name by which, thirty years ago, the Pagoda was known which crowns one of the cliffs of red sand stone on the right or western bank of the river, between Menhla and Mengoon.'