The Bank at Theroukmyeon (or Myenka-toung), higher up
Artist: Grant, Colesworthy (1813-1880)
Medium: Watercolour with pen and ink
Watercolour in pen and ink of the cliffs at Taroup Myo on the bank of the Irrawaddy (Ayeyarwady) River from 'A Series of Views in Burmah taken during Major Phayre’s Mission to the Court of Ava in 1855' by Colesworthy Grant. This album consists of 106 landscapes and portraits of Burmese and Europeans documenting the British embassy to the Burmese King, Mindon Min (r.1853-1878).
The mission took place after the Second Anglo-Burmese War in 1852 and the annexation by the British of the Burmese province of Pegu. It was despatched by the Governor-General of India Lord Dalhousie on the instructions of the East India Company, to attempt to persuade King Mindon to sign a treaty formally acknowledging the extension of British rule over the province. The mission started out from Rangoon and travelled up the Irrawaddy (Ayeyarwady) River to the royal capital at Amarapura. Grant was the official artist on the mission. In recognition of his skill, he was presented with a gold cup and ruby ring by the Burmese King.
This is one of several sketches Grant made recording the rock formations of the cliffs he passed on the river, and the second of two depicting a pagoda which he believed was known as the 'Myenka-Toung'. He wrote of this image: 'The same, higher up, shewing a succession of similar cliffs, crowned, divided, and based by thick vegetation. The Pagoda now seen is believed to be that already referred to, which thirty years ago was supposed to be in danger from the river.'