The bank near Web-ma-soh, and Mission Steamers
Artist: Grant, Colesworthy (1813-1880)
Medium: Watercolour with pen and ink
Watercolour in pen and ink of the Mission steamers near Web-ma-soh on the Irrawaddy (Ayeyarwady) River from 'A Series of Views in Burmah taken during Major Phayre’s Mission to the Court of Ava in 1855' by Colesworthy Grant and dated 14 August 1855. This album consists of 106 landscapes and portraits of Burmese and Europeans documenting the British embassy to the Burmese King, Mindon Min (r.1853-1878).
The mission to Amarapura took place after the Second Anglo-Burmese War in 1852 and the annexation by the British of the Burmese province of Pegu (Bago). It was despatched by the Governor-General of India Lord Dalhousie on the instructions of the East India Company, with the aim of persuading King Mindon to sign a treaty formally acknowledging the extension of British rule over the province.
The mission started out from Rangoon and travelled up the Irrawaddy to the royal capital of Amarapura in central Burma, stopping at various places on the outward and return journey. Colesworthy Grant was the official artist of the mission. In recognition of the skill, he was presented with a gold cup and ruby ring by the Burmese King.
Grant described this view as follows: 'The Eastern shore of the river continues of the same elevated and pictorial character, improved at this spot by a line of white pagodas seen on the summits of the cliffs.'