The bank near Kannee
Artist: Grant, Colesworthy (1813-1880)
Medium: Watercolour with pen and ink
Watercolour with pen and ink of the banks of the Irrawaddy (Ayeyarwady) River in Burma (Myanmar) near Kannee from 'A Series of Views in Burmah taken during Major Phayre’s Mission to the Court of Ava in 1855' by Colesworthy Grant. This album consists of 106 landscapes and portraits of Burmese and Europeans documenting the British embassy to the Burmese King, Mindon Min (r.1853-1878).
The mission started out from Rangoon (Yangon) and travelled up the Irrawaddy to the royal capital of Amarapura in central Burma. This is one of several sketches Grant made recording the striking and often massive rock formations of the cliffs he passed on the river. Of this drawing he wrote: “Proceeding on towards Yea-nan-gyoung, the banks gradually assume a more perpendicular and barren aspect.” The mission to Amarapura took place after the Second Anglo-Burmese War in 1852 and the annexation by the British of the Burmese province of Pegu. It was despatched by the Governor-General of India, Lord Dalhousie, on the instructions of the East India Company, with the aim of persuading King Mindon to sign a treaty formally acknowledging the extension of British rule over the province. The mission was headed by Arthur Phayre with Henry Yule as Secretary. Linnaeus Tripe and Colesworthy Grant were sent as the official photographer and artist of the mission. Grant was presented with a gold cup and ruby ring by the Burmese King in recognition of the skill shown in his drawings. A number of them were used for illustrations to Yule’s ‘A Narrative of the mission sent by the Governor General of India to the Court of Ava in 1855’ published in 1858.