'Miscellaneous Series. Plate.12. Juma Masjid, Chanderi'. Maisey in a top-hat sketching in the foreground
Artist: Maisey, Frederick Charles (1825-1892)
Medium: Pen and ink on paper
Pen and ink and wash drawing by Frederick Charles Maisey of the Jama Masjid at Chanderi, from an album of 60 drawings, dated 1847-1854. Maisey in a top-hat is sketching in the foreground.
Chanderi had been a strategic holding for its position on the borders of Malwa and Bundelkhand. It was the northern capital of Malwa, an independent Muslim sultanate, in the fifteenth and early-sixteenth centuries. It was seized by Babur in 1528. After this time, the fort sustained more battles and was occupied by the Muslim, Afghan, Rajput and British. Chanderi has several historical monuments that include the Jama Masjid or congregational mosque, an imposing building built in the early fifteenth century. The long prayer hall is covered by three large domes. These and the arches of the facade are reminiscent of the congregational mosque of Mandu, while the snake-like corbels that support the 'chhajja' or overhanging eave that projects out from the sanctuary and arcades around the courtyard of the mosque denote local influences.