'Miscellaneous Series. Plate.14. From a small building in the Fort above Chanderi.' Pillar and two styles of base
Artist: Maisey, Frederick Charles (1825-1892)
Medium: Pencil and ink on paper
Pen and ink and watercolour drawing by Frederick Charles Maisey of architectural details from a small building in the fort at Chanderi, taken from an album of 60 drawings dated 1847-1854.
Chanderi was an important administrative centre of the Muslim sultanate of Malwa. As a strategically located city it was later seized by Babur in 1528. The town is dominated by the fort that sits on a flat-topped hill overlooking the valley of the Betwa river. The fort was approched through five gates, only three of which survive. It was seized by the British under Sir Hugh Rose in 1858. The monuments in Chanderi are interesting for their mixed style. The use of recycled temple columns, trabeate methods of construction and small domed kiosks or 'chhatris' were all elements drawn from the early Rajput tradition. These were combined with imported foreign forms from the Islamic world, notably the dome and arch, to create a distinctive provincial style. The Ghori and Khalji sultans of Mandu built extensively at Chanderi including mosques, tanks, palaces and tombs. Inside the fort there are two Hindu palaces built by the Bundela Rajputs. This drawings depict the geometrical patterns of the mouldings of a small building in the fort, together with a type of column, with measurements.