'Sketch for Plate.22. Miscell Series. Large Temple at Kadwaho.' Elevation of side of Siva Temple, Khajuraho (Chhatarpur State, Central India).
Artist: Maisey, Frederick Charles (1825-1892)
Medium: Pencil and ink on paper
Pencil, pen and ink and watercolour drawing by Frederick Charles Maisey of the elevation of the large temple at Kadwaha, from an album of 60 drawings dated 1847-1854.
At Kadwaha in Madhya Pradesh there is a group of 11 Hindu temples belonging to the Kacchapaghata period, 10th-11th centuries, six being Shaiva and five Vaishnava. The principal Shaiva temple is known as Murayat, from 'Mattamayura', a mediaeval Shaiva sect with Kadwaha as one of its main centres. The temple is datable to c. A.D. 1075 and consists of a sanctuary with five offsets, preceded by a front hall. The external walls are decorated with two rows of sculptures, with the figures of the Dikpalas and sensuous maidens positioned in the wall projections and rampant mythical animals and amorous couples set in the recesses. The sanctuary is roofed with a curvilinear tower covered with arch-like motifs and crowned by a round amalaka stone. The interior walls, pillars, architraves and ceilings of the temple have rich decorative designs.