'Miscellaneous Series. Plate.40.' Panorama of the temples at Khajuraho with notes indicating their names. Kalinjar Series.
Artist: Maisey, Frederick Charles (1825-1892)
Medium: Pencil on paper
Drawing in pencil heightened in white by Frederick Charles Maisey of the panorama of the temples at Khajuraho with notes indicating their names. This drawing is taken from an album of 60 drawings dated 1847-1850.
Khajuraho was the capital of the Chandella dynasty who ascended to power in Central India in the early 9th century. The Chanellas were great builders and adorned the site with many Hindu and Jain temples; 25 out of the 85 originally existing are still extant. These temples represent the culmination of the Nagara or North Indian style of architecture for their complex schemes as well as the splendid sculptures that cover them which are among the masterpieces of Indian art. These depict divinities, semi-divine beings, guardian figures, numerous embracing couples and rearing mythical beasts. The temples depicted in this panorama are from left to right: the Kandariya Mahadeva, the Devi Jagadambi, the Matangeshvara, the Lakshmana, Varaha, Parvati and Vishvanatha Temple. The temples were built between the beginning of the 10th century and the middle of the 11th century.