Plate 5. Architectural details from temple of Nilkanth
Artist: Maisey, Frederick Charles (1825-1892)
Medium: Pen and ink on paper
The Nilakanth Temple is the holiest shrine of Kalinjar. In the Archaeological Survey of India Report of 1883-84 A. Cunningham wrote, "The great lingam of Nilakantha is situated in an outwork in the middle of the west face of the fort. The upper gate, leading in the outwork, is attributed to Raja Parmal, or Paramardi Deva, who reigned from A.D. 1167 to 1203. ...A second gate, which leads into the courtyard of the temple, has no inscription. But on the rock on the right hand of the descent there are numerous small caves and niches...The actual shrine of the Nilakantha lingam is a small cave with the remains of a fine mandapa, or hall in front. The facade of the cave has been very rich, but is now much broken...On the jambs of the door there are figures of Siva and Parvati with the Ganges and Yumna Rivers. These are of the Gupta period. The pillars of the hall are later, and belong to the time of the Chandels.The roof of the Mandpa is now gone, bust most of the pillars and pilasters still remain, forming a square with four on each side, and four in the middle."