Caves 10 and 12 Kanheri, Salsette: Cave 10, the 'Darbar Hall', on the right, Cave 12 on the left. 20 July 1793
Artist: Daniell, Thomas (1749-1840), and Daniell, William (1769-1837
Wash drawing by Thomas Daniell dated 20 July 1793, depicting Caves 10 and 12 at Kanheri. Inscribed on back in ink: 'One of the Upper Caves at Kanaree. Salsette: July 20th, 1793.'
Kanheri near Bombay was a flourishing Buddhist site for nearly a thousand years. It was occupied by a religious community from the Satavahana period in the 1st century to the 11th century. The main monument in that place is the large chaitya hall, Cave 3, excavated around the last quarter of the second century A.D. during the Satavahana dynasty. During the late fifth and sixth century another phase of artistic activity begun and more than a hundred caves were excavated by the religious community. The caves are generally small and consist of a verandah and a hall; some of them have carving of Buddha figures. This drawing shows the pillared verandah of two caves at the site.