S.E. view of Savandrug (Mysore)
Artist: MacKenzie, Colin (1754-1821)
Water-colour painting of the fortress at Savandurga in Karnataka by Colin MacKenzie (1754-1821) in 1791. Inscribed on the front in ink is: 'Savan-droog as viewed from the S. East in 1791. From an orig. sketch by Lieut C. McKenzie.'
Savandurga is made up of two granite cliffs and is approximately 4000 feet tall and 13 kilometres (8 miles) in circumference. The darker one is called Karigudda or 'black hill' and the other Billigudda or 'white hill'. The hill fort on the top of the outcrop was erected in 1543 by Samanta Raya. It was then taken by Immadi Kempe Gowda of Bangalore and held until 1728 when it was captured by the Raja of Mysore from whom it passed to Haider Ali. In 1791 Savandurga was taken by British forces under Lord Cornwallis during the Mysore Wars.