E. view of the hill fort of Chitaldrug (Mysore)
Artist: Fotheringham, R.H. (fl. 1792-1815)
Water-colour of the hill fort of Chitradurga by R.H. Fotheringham (fl. 1792-1815) in 1801. Inscribed on the front in ink is: 'View of Chittel Droog from the East, 1801, R.H. Fotheringham.' R.H. Fotheringham was an engineer in Madras from 1792 to 1815, when he retired in India. He was one of the young Lieutenants helping MacKenzie during the Mysore survey.
Chitradurga or Chitaldrug is situated in Karnataka at the base of a cluster of hills covered with extensive fortifications. There are inscriptions of the Chalukya, Ballala and Vijayanagara dynasties on the site, however the fort was built by the Naik Pallegars in the 17th century, then added to by Haidar Ali and Tipu Sultan in the 18th century. Tipu Sultan built the Kallina Kote (Palace of Stone) within the walls which was later used as a courthouse. The fort had 19 gateways, 38 posterior entrances, a mosque, granaries, oil pits, four secret entrances and water tanks. It was approached by a winding entrance which made it more difficult for attackers to get through. Many temples are situated in the rocky surroundings which make up the interior of the fort complex.