The Rock and Temple of Trichinopoly
Watercolour of the rock and temple of Tiruchchirappalli, by an anonymous artist, part of the MacKenzie Collection, c. 1784. Inscribed on front in ink: 'View of the Rock and Pagoda at Trichinopoly.'
The site of Tiruchchirapalli has been an important Hindu centre since Chola times due to its topographic position. The town is situated on the Cauvery River and is dominated by a huge granite rock that rises steeply above the town. Only a fragment of the great Nayaka fort remains, built on a circular plan with a ring of walls girding the great rock. On the summit of the rock there is a recent Ganesha temple, and on the way up there are two rock cut caves. A small shrine to Ganesha is visible in the foreground of this drawing, with the fort in the background.