Mr Toring's house near Madras
Artist: Wood, T. (fl. 1797)
Water-colour drawing of 'Mr. Toring's house near Madras' by T. Wood (fl. 1797) in 1797. Inscribed on the front in ink is: 'Mr Toring's House at Tepay (?) near Madras, 1797. T. Wood Del.'
Chennai (Madras) lies on the Bay of Bengal in the north-east corner of Tamil Nadu. It was founded in 1639 when Francis Day of the East India Company acquired land for a warehouse or ‘factory’ which was completed on 23 April 1640. This was the first important English settlement in India and remained the centre of English influence in the East until the rise of Calcutta in the late 18th century. The city was one of India’s major ports and mercantile centres, based around the harbour and George Town, its commercial heart. It has a rich architectural legacy of colonial buildings dating from the 18th and 19th centuries such as this European house.