A rock-cut temple near Poona [Pune]
Artist: Rowley, George (fl. 1797-1803)
Water-colour drawing by George Rowley of a rock-cut temple near Poona. Inscribed on front in ink: 'A subterranean Cavern cut out of the solid Rock near Poona by Lt Rowley Engineers.'
This drawing depicts the circular Nandi pavilion standing in the courtyard of the Pataleshvara or Panchaleshvara cave temple near Pune which was excavated in the eighth century AD. The pavilion is surrounded by a circular parapet with twelve pillars and is entered to the east and west sides by a short flight of steps. An image of Nandi is positioned in the centre on a plinth. The main cave, which was never finished, has a verandah of eight pillars and two pilasters, and consists of three excavated halls.