View of the island and tomb in the Ganges at Sultanganj (Bjhar). 9 February 1814.
Artist: Newman, John (fl. c.1795-1818)
Water-colour painting of the island and tomb in the Ganges at Sultanganj by John Newman (fl. c.1795-1818), 9 February 1814. Inscribed on the front in ink is: 'A view at dusk at 5 in the Evening of Sultangunje. Ichageerah with the Mausoleum on a Rocky Point of Land behind the Island. 9th Febry. 1814. Newman.'
Sultanganj is a village in the Bhagalpur District of Bihar famous for two huge granite rocks in the river one of which is crowned by a Siva temple, the other by a mosque. It is thought that Sultanganj was the abode of the sage Jahnu. The hill that contained the Ashram of Jahnu is still sited in the middle of the Ganges and at present the famous Shiva temple of Ajgaivinath is situated on the summit.