Pillar of Firoz Shah at Delhi
Water-colour painting of the Pillar of Firoz Shah at Delhi by an anonymous artist, 1808-1820. Inscribed on the front in pencil is: 'The Lat of Firoz Shah at Delhi.'
Firozabad, today also known as Firoz Shah Kotla, was begun by Firoz Shah Tughluq (r. 1351-1388) in 1454 as the new capital of the Delhi Sultanate. It is located in modern-day Old Delhi on the western bank of the river Jumna. The Lat or Ashoka Column is 13.1 metres high, made of polished sandstone and dates from the 3rd Century BC. It was brought from Ambala by Firoz Shah. It stands on the uppermost section of a three-tiered arcaded palace pavilion located near to the main royal residences and congregational mosque within the fortified area.