Stone bridge north of Narwar, from the north, 30th September 1818
Artist: Hamilton, Henry (fl. 1807-1818)
Watercolour drawing of a stone bridge north of Narwar by Henry Hamilton (fl. 1807-1818), part of the MacKenzie Collection dated 30th September 1818. Inscribed on front in ink: a'. Stone Bridge North of Narwar from the Northward.' b'. Stone Bridge Southward of Narwar from the West. Drawn by H.H. 30th Septr, 1818.'
Colin MacKenzie (1754-1821) joined the East India Company as an engineer at the age of 28 and spent the majority of his career in India. He used the salary he earned from his military career as a captain, major and finally a colonel to finance his research into the history and religion of Indian and Javan culture. During his surveys he collected and recorded details concerning every aspect of Indian history, architecture, language, life and religion, resulting in thousands of drawings and copies of inscriptions. The fort seen atop the hill in this drawing has been historically important since the 14th century, changing hands between different ruling houses, from the Tomars to the Mughals and eventually the Marathas. The fort is surrounded by solid walls, which reach a height of 10 m. Domes and minarets can be seen reaching above the high walls, which encircle almost the whole hilltop, reaching approximately 3 km in length. The bridge below is part of the town that is situated on a bend in the Sind River.