Ruins of the old palace of the French Governors, Ghireti, Chandernagore (Bengal). January 1820
Artist: Pyari Lal (fl. 1819-1824)
Watercolour painting of the ruins of the old palace of the French Governors at Ghireti in Chandernagore by Pyari Lal (fl. 1819-1824) dated January 1820. Inscribed on the front in ink is: 'Old House at Gheretty, January 1820. Drawn by Pearalal.'
The former French colony of Chandernagore is situated on the bank of the Hooghly river near Calcutta in north-eastern India. It was founded in 1673 and gradually expanded to become a great commercial centre. Ghireti House was the country mansion of the French Governors of Chandernagore. During the Governorship of M. Chevalier (1769-87) it presented a splendid appearance with rich furniture and painted ceilings. Nothing now remains but a few traces of its foundations. Chandernagore was handed back to India after a referendum in 1950 but still retains some of the churches, cemeteries and convents of the French.