Kondavid-drug near Guntur. 19 February 1804. Signed 'W.R.'
Artist: R., William (fl. 1784-1816)
Water-colour of Kondavid fortress by William R (fl. 1784-1816), 19 February 1804. Inscribed on the picture is: W.R.; on the back in ink: 'Condaveid, 14 Miles S.W. of Guntoor. 19th Feby, 1804.'
Kondavid or Kondavidu is a hill fort situated on a high ridge near Guntur town in Andhra Pradesh. The fort was originally constructed by the Orissa Rajas in the 13th century however the ruins of three forts from different periods can be seen on the site. The main fort is constructed of granite and consists of substantial ramparts, magazines, warehouses, granaries and wells. It has two entrances, the Kolepalli Darwaza and the Nadelle Darwaza and also contains the Gopinathwazaswami temple, which exhibits clustered pillars cut from a single rock. From 1328 to 1428 the town was the seat of the Reddi Dynasty who ruled the area around the present day Vijayawada and Guntur towns. The fortress was attacked by Krishna Raya several times in the 14th century and by Sultan Quli Qutb Shah of Golconda in 1579. Later the fortress was acquired by the French (1752), but was handed to the English in 1788.