Two 'profiles' of hills near Golconda and Hyderabad.
Medium: Pencil on paper
Pencil drawing from the MacKenzie Collection, of two hills in Golconda by an unknown artist, c. 1797.
Golconda in Andhra Pradesh was the centre of a rich and powerful state formed on the disintegration of the Bahmani kingdom. There is a fort here situated on an isolated granite hill which was a thriving commercial centre in the 13th and 14th centuries, and later became a flourishing centre under the Qutb Shahi Sultans in the 16th century. The outer curtain wall of the fort is 4.8 kilometres, or 3 miles in circumference and incorporates a total of 87 bastions. Within this wall is a second double wall which circles the town and an inner wall which encloses boulders and other natural landscape features. A number of interesting buildings are situated at the fort including the Diwan's Palace and the Jami Masjid.