E. View of Savandrug (Mysore) 800
Medium: Pen and ink on paper
Pen-and-ink and wash drawing of the fortress at Savandurga in Karnataka by an anonymous artist, 1791. Inscribed on the front in ink is: 'Savandroog as viewed from the East in 1791.'
Savandurga is made up of two granite cliffs around 4000 feet tall and 13 kilometres (8 miles) in circumference. The darker one is called Karigudda or 'black hill' and the other Billigudda or 'white hill'. The hill fort on the top of the outcrop was erected in 1543 by Samanta Raya. It then came to Immadi Kempe Gowda of Bangalore until 1728 when it was captured by the Raja of Mysore from whom it passed to Haider Ali. In 1791 Savandurga was taken by British forces under Lord Cornwallis during the third Mysore War.