Interior of the Jami Masjid, Tatta (Sind). 10 January 1839
Artist: Wingate, T. (fl. 1830-1846)
Water-colour painting of the interior of the Jami Masjid at Tatta (Sind) by T. Wingate (fl. 1830-1846), 10 January 1839. Inscribed on the front in water-colour is: 'T. Wingate. Queen's Royal Regt. 10th Jany. 1839'; on the back in ink: 'The Jumma Musjeed in Thatta, Scinde: commenced by Sha Jahan, & finished by Urungjebe.'
Thatta or Tatta is located in Sindh province, Pakistan just west of the Indus River, inland from Karachi and the Arabian Sea coast. The Jami Masjid or congregational mosque was built by the Mughal emperor Shah Jahan between 1644 and 1647 as a gift for the hospitality he received while seeking refuge from his father, Jahangir. It has a large courtyard and a corridor of 93 domed compartments which allows the voice of the Iman to be heard throughout the mosque. The interior is covered with mosaics of turquoise and white tiles. This decoration is known as Kashi, a form of mosaic work where small pieces of tiles of a single colour are cut to shape and attached to the wall surface with cement.