Mosque of Shah Hamadan, Srinagar (Kashmir). Probably by Henry Warren for the lithograph in Hardinge's Recollections of India (1847)
Artist: Hardinge, Charles Stewart (1822-1894), after
Medium: Pencil on paper
Pencil and wash drawing of the Mosque of Shah Hamadan at Srinagar (Kashmir). This drawing was probably made by Henry Warren for the lithograph 'City of Kashmir. Mosque of Shah Hamadan', published in C.S. Hardinge's 'Recollections of India' (London, 1847), plate 23. It was copied from the original water-colour by Charles Stewart Hardinge which is in the possession of Helen Lady Hardinge of Penshurst. Charles Hardinge had made this sketch during a holiday in Kashmir, 1846.
The mosque, situated on the banks of the Jhelum River, was constructed in 1395 by Sultan Sikander and dedicated to Mir Sayyid Ali Hamadan of Persia. It has been destroyed and rebuilt 3 times. In 1480 it was ravaged by fire before it was reconstructed and expanded by Sultan Hassan Shah; in 1493 it was demolished and rebuilt as a two storey structure and in 1731 it was again destroyed by fire before being restored by Abul Barkat Khan. The mosque is wooden and its sloping roof with high central spire are typical features of Kashmiri architectural style.