f.10 European artillery firing from the breastworks of a fort, probably during the assault of Savandrug 21 January 1792. Indian gunner in foreground with Madras headwear.
Artist: Johnson, John (c.1769-1846)
Water-colour painting probably of Savandrug near Bangalore by John Johnson (c.1769-1846), 21 January 1792. This image is from a sketch-book of 36 drawings (36 folios) depicting scenes chiefly in West India and Mysore between c.1795 and 1801.
Savandurga is made up of two granite cliffs, c. 4000 feet tall and 13 kilometres (8 miles) in circumference. The darker one is called Karigudda or the black hill and the other the Billigudda or the white hill. The hill fort on the top of the outcrop was erected in 1543 by Samanta Raya. It then came to Immadi Kempe Gowda of Bangalore until 1728 when it was captured by the Raja of Mysore from whom it passed to Haider Ali. In 1791 Savandurga was taken by British forces under Cornwallis from Tipu Sultan.