f.16 View of the Mandovi River between the towns of Ribandar and Panjim. The causeway was built c.1636.
Artist: Johnson, John (c.1769-1846)
Water-colour painting of the Mandavi River between the towns of Ribandar and Panjim by John Johnson (c.1769-1846). This image is from a sketch-book of 36 drawings (36 folios) depicting scenes chiefly in West India and Mysore, c.1795-1801.
The Portuguese came to Goa in the 16th century for the lucrative spice trade and dominated the area for four centuries. Panjim (New Goa) is located at the mouth of the Mandavi River on the Arabian Sea and was a small village until plague at Old Goa (Goa Velha) drove the residents out in the mid-1700s. The causeway, built by the Viceroy in 1633, leads to the village of Ribander (pronounced Rai bunder) or ‘Royal Harbour’ which was possibly named after the arrival of the Vijayanagar King in the 14th century. Ribander has been preserved as it was in the 17th century and the buildings in the area still reflect the Portuguese influence such as brilliant white churches and houses painted in bright colours.