Elevation of a Circular Temple within the inclosure of the Pagoda of Maurga Saha Eshwer at Bellagoola [ ] miles W. of Seringapatam.
Medium: Watercolour with pen and ink
Pen and ink and watercolour drawing of the elevation of a circular temple at Shravana Belagola in Karnataka. This drawing is taken from an album of 156 drawings (185 folios) chiefly of architecture and sculpture in S. India, dated 1803-08. Some drawings are by MacKenzie himself, others by his assistant surveyors and draftsmen, including H. Hamilton and J. Newman.
Sravana Belagola, situated 70 km north of Mysore in Karnataka, is one of the most famous Jain pilgrimage places in southern India. The village lies between two temple-studded hills, Vindhyagiri to the south and the smaller Chandragiri to the north and is dominated by the huge monolothic image of Gommateshvara which represents Bahubali, the son of the first Tirthankara who renounced the world and obtained enlightenment after defeating his brother Bharata in battle. The site was established in the 9th-10th century during the Western Gangas era and continued to be developed under the Hoysalas and later during the Vijayanagara and Wadiyar periods. This drawing depicts a small circular shrine part of one of the temples at the site.