Sculpture from the Horse Mandapam at Vellore. ‘Sculptures in the Great Pagoda in the Fort of Vellore 1803. Copied from a Drawing by Mr. Rowley
Medium: Pen and ink on paper
Pen and ink and wash drawing of a sculptured column from the kalyana mandapa, the pillared hall of the Jalakanteshvara Temple at Vellore, from an album of 56 sheets of drawings (60 folios) mainly of miscellaneous architecture and sculpture in the Deccan and S. India, dated 1793-1806. Some drawings are by MacKenzie himself, others by his draftsmen, including C. Ignatio.
The Jalankanteshvara Temple is a masterpiece of late 16th century Vijayanagara architecture. The complex is enclosed into high walls and is entered on the south through a high gopura. The carvings on the lower storey consist of slender pilasters standing in pots and niches which have now lost their sculptures. The Kalyana Mandapa, situated in the south-west corner of the first enclosure of the temple, has some of the finest carvings of the Vijayanagara period on its pillars. The outer piers are fashioned as rearing lions, yalis and horses with riders and other mythical beasts. These magnificent carvings are done almost in the round. The main temple consists of a linga shrine and a Nataraja shrine.