Three sculptures excavated during Mackenzie’s visit to Amaravati in 1798. Published alongside folio 52 in AR.
Medium: Watercolour with pen and ink
Watercolour drawing with pen and ink of three sculptures excavated during Mackenzie’s visit to Amaravati in 1798, from an Album of 56 sheets of drawings mainly of miscellaneous architecture and sculpture in the Deccan and S. India, dated 1793-1806. The drawing was published alongside folio 52 in Asiatic Researches, 9, 1809, p.274 for C. MacKenzie in the 'Extract of a Journal by Major C. MacKenzie', part of 'Accounts of the Jains'. The sculptures are described, "On the rubbish above, ...two pieces of the same white stone: one of these seemed divided into two compartments, by a border, on which three wild hogs running were sculptured...The leg of a figure sitting, and the hind leg of a horse appear above, remaining of the original design. Below the border, the plane was inclined to a lower border: and...two lines of character were carved..."