Ground Plans of the Ajanta Caves f.6
Draughtsman: Gill, Robert (c.1824-1875)
Medium: Pen and ink on paper
Pen-and-ink and wash of the ground plan of the lower level of Cave 6 at Ajanta, from an album of 26 ground plans of the Ajanta caves and 16 folios of drawings of sculpture and architectural details in the Ajanta caves, by Capt. R. Gill, dated c.1850.
The magnificent cave temples of Ajanta are situated in a horse-shoe valley of the Waghora river in West India and consist of prayer halls (chaityas) and monasteries (viharas), built for the Buddhist community who lived there. The first group was excavated between the second - first centuries BC; then, after a period of more than six centuries, the excavations restarted around the fifth century AD, in the Vakataka period. art. Cave 6 is a monastery from the late fifth century which was excavated on two levels. The verandah has fallen away. The lower hall has sixteen octagonal columns arranged in four rows. There are two cells on the two sides of the front corridor. Six more cells are in the two side coridors, three in each. Two more cells are excavated, one on each side of the back corridor. The hall leads to the sanctuary where there is a seated Buddha.