Ground Plans of Cave 13 and Cave 22, Ajanta
Draughtsman: Gill, Robert (c.1824-1875)
Medium: Pen and ink on paper
Pen-and-ink and wash drawing the ground plans of Cave 13 and Cave 22 at Ajanta, from an album of 26 ground plans of the Ajanta caves and 16 folios of drawings of sculpture and architectural details in the Ajanta caves, by Capt. R. Gill, dated c.1850.
The magnificent cave temples of Ajanta are situated in a horse-shoe valley of the Waghora river in West India and consist of prayer halls (chaityas) and monasteries (viharas), built for the Buddhist community who lived there. The first group was
excavated between the second - first centuries BC; then, after a period of more than six centuries, the excavations restarted around the fifth century AD, under the Vakataka patronage. Cave 13 is a monastery which was excavated in the second century BC and it is probably one of the first excavations at Ajanta. The facade has collapsed and reveals the plain interior square hall. Cells on three sides have rock-cut beds. Cave 22 is a small vihara from the late fifth century which has been excavated on a platform to the left of Cave 21. The verandah of the cave has collapsed. The hall has no columns and there are two incomplete cells on the left and right sides of the hall. Inside the shrine there is a Buddha figure.