Ground Plans of the Ajanta Cave 15 and Cave 20, Ajanta
Draughtsman: Gill, Robert (c.1824-1875)
Medium: Pen and ink on paper
Pen-and-ink and wash drawing of the ground plans of Cave 15 and Cave 20 at Ajanta, from an album of ground plans of the Ajanta caves and 16 folios of drawings of sculpture and architectural details in the Ajanta caves, by Capt. R. Gill, dated c.1850.
The magnificent cave temples of Ajanta are situated in a horse-shoe valley of the Waghora river in West India and consist of prayer halls (chaityas) and monasteries (viharas), built for the Buddhist community who lived there. The first group was excavated between the second - first centuries BC; then, after a period of more than six centuries, the excavations restarted around the fifth century AD, under the Vakataka patronage. Cave 15 is a monastery from the fifth century which consists of a verandah, mostly fallen, a hall and a shrine with Buddha images. Cave 20 is a small monastery excavated at the end of the fifth century. The verandah has beautifully carved columns and bracket figures; the hall has no columns and the antechamber protruding into the hall leads to the shrine which has two plain chambers on two sides.