Ground Plan of Cave 14, Ajanta
Draughtsman: Gill, Robert (c.1824-1875)
Medium: Pencil and ink on paper
Pen-and-ink and wash drawing of the ground plan of Cave 14 at Ajanta, from an album of 26 ground plans of the Ajanta caves and 16 folios of drawings of sculpture and architectural details in the Ajanta caves, by Capt. R. Gill, dated c.1850.
The magnificent cave temples of Ajanta are situated in a horse-shoe valley of the Waghora river in West India and consist of prayer halls (chaityas) and monasteries (viharas), built for the Buddhist community who lived there. The first group was
excavated between the second - first centuries BC; then, after a period of more than six centuries, the excavations restarted around the fifth century AD, under the Vakataka patronage. Cave 14 is a large monastery which left unfinished in the fifth century. It has a verandah with ornamented columns and a partially excavated hall.