Cave 7, Sculptures on Left Wall of Antechamber
Draughtsman: Gill, Robert (c.1824-1875)
Medium: Pencil on paper
Pencil drawing of the sculptures on the left wall of the antechamber of Cave 7 at Ajanta, from an Album of 26 ground plans of the Ajanta caves and 16 folios of drawings of sculpture and architectural details in the Ajanta caves, by Capt. R. Gill, dated c.1850.
The magnificent cave temples of Ajanta are situated in a horse-shoe valley of the Waghora river in West India and consist of prayer halls (chaityas) and monasteries (viharas), built for the Buddhist community who lived there. The first group was excavated between the second - first centuries BC; then, after a period of more than six centuries, the excavations restarted around the fifth century AD, in the Vakataka period. Cave 7 is a monastery from the late fifth century. This drawing depicts the Buddha figures seated on lotus flowers in different attitudes that are carved on the left wall of the antechamber. Below, in the middle, a Buddha figure is seen seated on a lotus, the stalk of which is held by two Nagas.