Cave 2, Sculptures in Subsidiary Shrines
Draughtsman: Gill, Robert (c.1824-1875)
Medium: Pencil on paper
Pencil drawing of the sculptures in one of the subsidiary shrine of Cave 2 at Ajanta, from an Album of 26 ground plans of the Ajanta caves and 16 folios of drawings of sculpture and architectural details in the Ajanta caves, by Capt. R. Gill, dated c.1850.
The magnificent cave temples of Ajanta are situated in a horse-shoe valley of the Waghora river in West India and consist of prayer halls (chaityas) and monasteries (viharas), built for the Buddhist community who lived there. The first group was excavated between the second - first centuries BC; then, after a period of more than six centuries, the excavations restarted around the fifth century AD, in the Vakataka period. Cave 2 is a monastery from the late fifth century with profuse sculptural ornamentation. This drawing depicts the figures of Panchika and Hariti carved on the right of the subsidiary shrine in the rear wall of the hall.
The cave is remarkable for its painted ceilings and for the magnificent wall painting that adorn its walls.