View of Circular Road, Calcutta
Artist: Prinsep, Edward Augustus (1828-1900)
Watercolour of Circular Road in Calcutta by Edward Augustus Prinsep (1828-1900) dated c.1848. Inscribed on the front in ink: 'On the Circular Road, Calcutta.'.
Circular Road in Calcutta was one of the improvements implemented by Marquis Wellesley on his appointment as Governor-General in 1798. Part of the road followed Maratha Ditch, a defence that had been dug in 1742. The Prinsep family served in India for several generations. Edward Prinsep was the son of William Princep, a merchant. His uncle, James Princep, was a noted scholar and antiquarian.