Old Council House, Calcutta
Artist: Daniell, Thomas (1749-1840)
Pen and ink wash drawing of the Old Council House at Calcutta in West Bengal by Thomas Daniell (1749-1840) and his nephew William Daniell (1769-1837) dated c.1792. This image is the original drawing for plate 3 of part 2 of the Daniell's 'Oriental Scenery' that was published in six parts between 1795 and 1810. By the end of the 18th century, Calcutta had become a flourishing city with many neo-classical public buildings flanking the north side of the Esplanade. The Council House was erected in 1764.